STEP 1: Begin with a high quality fish oil supplement—Not all fish oil is the same. If you would like to see what brands Dr. Lewis uses in his medical practice, go to http://braincare.center/the-omega-protocol-follow-the-steps-below/
- Any omega‐3 fish oil product to be used in this protocol should be a concentrated formulation that is molecularly distilled, pharmaceutical grade, triglyceride form (not ethyl esters), and meets European Pharmacopeia standards.
- For Soft Gel Capsules: the highest quality concentrated softgels will contain a combined 1000mg EPA+DHA per softgel, usually in a 1250mg sized softgel.
- With these newer concentrates, ONE dose equals only three (3) softgels.
- At a minimum, each softgel capsule should contain at least 600mg of EPA & DHA omega‐3s combined. At this lesser concentration, a dose would be five (5) softgels.
- For Liquid concentrate: the best concentrates should contain approximately 2500-3000mg (3gm) of EPA+DHA per teaspoon (5 ml) for one dose.
- While we do not publish what brands should be consumed, if you would like to see what brands Dr. Lewis uses in his medical practice, please go to http://braincare.center/the-omega-protocol-follow-the-steps-below/.
**Keep product refrigerated after purchase**
STEP 2: Begin taking your omega-3 softgels as soon as possible following an injury. Sometimes this is immediately following an injury, sometimes it may be weeks, months, or even years after an injury. Take as follows:
WEEK 1 (Phase 1 – loading dose):
- TAKE ONE DOSE, three (3) best quality concentrated softgels (3 g of EPA+DHA), THREE TIMES A DAY for at least 7 days (Breakfast‐Lunch‐Dinner or before work/school-after work/school-and bedtime). This is a total of NINE (9) softgels per day.
- If the injury is more severe or months/years prior and symptoms are still an issue, consider extending this phase out to one entire month. I generally recommend doing the higher dose for one entire bottle (two weeks).
WEEK 2 (Phase 2 – tapering down):
- TAKE ONE DOSE, three (3) best quality concentrated softgels (3 g of EPA/DHA), TWO TIMES A DAY for 7 days (Breakfast-Dinner). This is a total of SIX (6) softgels per day.
If symptoms are improving, but not yet back to where you and your healthcare provider think you should be,
strongly consider staying at Phase 1 for a longer period of time until you achieve
the results you believe you and your healthcare provider believe you should achieve.
STEP 3 (Phase 3 – maintenance): Purchase more omega-3 supplement to continue a MAINTENANCE DOSE that is important to maintain optimal brain health.
- Take one dose, three (3) best quality concentrated softgels (3 g of EPA/DHA) every day ongoing.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Our experience is that patients typically notice improvements within the first week, often in the first several days. Depending on the individual and the injury, patients have described being able to think more clearly, more energy throughout the day, decrease headache frequency and/or intensity, and a sense of calmness. Individual results may vary.
FLEXIBILITY IN THE PROTOCOL
Every individual is different. This protocol has been developed as a guideline and patients and their healthcare provider may consider adjusting the dosage. For example, if the injury is more severe or happened months or years prior, the patient may find they need to be on the higher doses for a longer period of time.
USING THE PROTOCOL FOR OTHER THAN HEAD INJURIES
Every situation and person is different. While we have been gaining clinical experience using this protocol following concussions and head injuries, we have limited experience with patients using this protocol following a stroke, for ADHD, depression, and other situations where the brain may benefit from having more of the nutritional foundation of omega-3s.
We welcome, and strongly encourage, you to send an email at < email@example.com > to let us know how it’s going. We love success stories! But if you have problems or issues, feedback and constructive criticism is always welcome to improve how we can recommend a better nutritional foundation for brain health.
This protocol has not been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. The FDA has classified omega‐3 fatty acids as “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS). In fact, The FDA has ruled that up to 3 grams of EPA+DHA is safe to be included in the food supply of Americans without fear of adverse events (in Europe and Canada, 5 grams is considered GRAS). In addition, there are no known significant drug interactions with omega‐3 fatty acids. When using higher amounts of EPA and DHA, it is important for persons considering doing this protocol to do so under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
While bleeding is often expressed as a concern, no research has ever been published to show this to be a clinically relevant issue. Research has shown that omega-3s do not potentiate bleeding issues with “blood thinner” medications such as Coumadin or heparin (these types of medications inhibit platelets from being able to clot, so omegas cannot make it worse). Practical experience has shown that people may bruise easier when taking high levels of omega-3s, similar to taking an aspirin a day. Every individual is different. Consult with your doctor for the best advice for you.
Following the protocol does not constitute a doctor‐patient relationship with any member of the Brain Health Education & Research Institute or the Institute itself. It does not imply, explicitly or implicitly our knowledge of condition or that any member of the Institute is treating any medical condition for you.